The Ring of Minos and the Myth of the ABDUCTION of EuropA: Symbolism and Associations


Michael Spyridakis

Σε απόθεμα

  1. History of the Ring of Minos, 1500-1400 BC
    This impressive gold ring was found in 1928 in a field near the royal tomb of Knossos, on the hill of Gypsades. The ring was initially discovered by Knossos excavator Arthur Evans, but also the archaeologist Nikolaos Plato did not question its authenticity.
    Information suggests that Father Polakis, a resident of the settlement of Knossos, had received the ring from a young shepherd and brought it to Evans, and later to the Heraklion Museum. The story did not have a happy ending, as the treasure was initially considered to be fake. The heir of the priest, Nikolaos Polakis, Mr. G. Kazantzis, handed it over to the Ministry of Culture in 2001, leading to the conclusion that it was a masterpiece. The ring weighs 32 grams, and its bezel dimensions are 3.55 x 2.35 cm (Nota Dimopoulou-G. Rethymniotakis p. 8). The Ring of Minos is currently exhibited in room 8 (VIII) of the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion.

Στοιχεία Βιβλίου

  • Εκδόσεις: Mystis
  • Συγγραφέας: Michael Spyridakis
  • Πρώτη Έκδοση: 2024
  • ISBN: 978-618-5421-72-4
  • Σελίδες: 96
  • Διαστάσεις: 12×21 εκ.
  • Βάρος: 400γρ.
  • Εξώφυλλο: Soft